The more than 1000 year old town, famous for the mining industry that was very important for the development of the town, as well as for the biggest rose collection in the world, is situated on the slopes of the southern Harz Mountains which form the northern border of the “Goldene Aue” – a large and very fertile lowland plain between theHarz and Kyffhäuser Mountains. The Franconians founded the town itself in the 6th century.
Archeologically it has been proved that there were already settlements here in Neolithic Times (4500 – 1700 B.C.) The name Sangerhausen seems to indicate that settlers cleared the forest by singeing it off. The name of the town “Sangerhusen” is mentioned for the first time in the documents of the Fulda Monastery between 780 and 802 A.D. In the tithe registry of the Hersfeld Monastery Sangerhausen is mentioned in the middle of the 9th century. The first document which is dated and in which the town is called “Sangirhusen” is by Otto III and was signed on 4 October 991. Around the year 1194 Sangerhausen must have been given the town charter, which is documented in 1204. In 1247 The Wettin margraves of Meißen were granted the town.
They enlarged it and made it intoto a border fortification. In the centuries to follow the town felt under the government of different rulers, for example the margraves of Brandenburg, the dukes of Brunswick and of Weißenfels. As early as in the 13th century a planned enlargement of the town in a westerly direction was started. The building structure of the old part of the town (15th – 18th centuries) has been largely preserved. The centre of the town - that are the streets Göpenstraße, Kornmarkt, and Markt – with the Renaissance Town Hall and patrician houses is classified as a historical monument. It shows the development of the town.
Today Sangerhausen is a district town in the federal state of Saxony – Anhalt and has about 23,000 inhabitants.